Re: [Snowy] edge.tomboy-online.org is now using django 1.2

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Jeff Schroeder
> <jeffschroeder computer org> wrote:
>> Thanks to sandy's work to make snowy django 1.2 compliant, I've
>> updated the django install on https://edge.tomboy-online.org
>
> Awesome, thanks Jeff!  Once we figure out the hangs when viewing
> notes, we should be ready to start sending out alpha invites.
>
> Sandy

Three things we should try:
    - Install the django_debug_toolbar.
    - Disable the mod_wsgi process pool thingy that lets us touch
snowy.wsgi to reload the code
    - Old school debugging with print + timeit.timeit() Just prefix
lines with "DEBUG:" so they are easy to grep out of the error_log

Look at my changes to local_settings.py (commented out) and the
settings.py on the edge instance to start playing with this. I started
hacking up the debug_toolbar middleware to only display if
User.is_staff(), but broke it so I commented out the debug_toolbar.
I'd suggest reverting my middleware hack until it is done and just
having the toolbar by default for the edge instance until we figure
this out. It is good stuff and might help us get a handle on what is
going on.

Moving away from the mod_wsgi process pool thingy might very well take
care of this. Another thing to consider is that we only have 1 process
serving the django stuff as there is only ever 1 httpd process running
as gnomeweb. It is possible there is a starvation issue similar to no
apache children due to the apache config. We should tune this and futz
around with it. The downside of disabling the process pool is that a
new code deploy or _any_ python settings change requires an apache
graceful restart. Even with that downside, it is worth testing to see
if that fixes the issue. If you start futzing with the apache config,
make sure to stop the puppet service and that puppetd is _not_
running. If you don't, it will overwrite what is in git. Please let
paul, christer, or myself know and we can check the changes into the
sysadmin puppet repo.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com