[Shotwell] manual photo management - transition to shotwell

Dear shotwell-users,

I have been using shotwell for 4 or 5 years now,
and I myself am happy about shot well's policy of
storing photos in folder yyyy/mm/dd  folders.

My wife Jannie on the other hand is used to transfer
photo's to folders like
  ~/Pictures/family
  ~/Pictures/england2013
  ~/Pictures/trips with friends
  etc.

One problem with this is that a photo can be in one category only.
With shotwell tags this problem may be solved.

When I install shotwell on her computer,
and she starts using it, shotwell will "import" all
photo's from the library folder (~/Pictures).

Two questions:

Now if she adds photo's manually to the ~/Pictures folder
is there a way to make shotwell see the new photo's?

Do you have other suggestions for making the transition to shotwell?

Thanks,
Gerrit Draisma

System:
  Host: Olga Kernel: 5.3.10-pclos1 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: MATE 1.22.2
  Distro: PCLinuxOS 2020

  Shotwell 0.30.1