Re: [Shotwell] 100% CPU consumption

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

I’m running Shotwell in a Parallels virtual machine on my iMac.

When I come to download images from my camera, I start Ubuntu 14.04 and plug the camera in via USB.

There follows a long delay while thumbnails are collected from the camera - over 30 minutes the last couple
of times I tried - and there is also a long delay when I download the images and again when I delete them
from the camera.

Investigating with the Ubuntu System Monitor, I see that when I first start Shotwell there is a very high CPU
load (60-70%) attributed to Shotwell for a quarter of an hour or so, and the load then drops to 0%.

If I plug in the camera (or memory card) at this point, the whole process runs in a reasonable time - less
than a minute for 20 or 30 images.

I have 31333 images in my library, and my suspicion is that there is a house-keeping process going on at
start-up which interacts with the downloading process. I haven’t timed the process explicitly, but it seems
to me that my workaround takes less time overall than an attempt to download images in parallel with the
(presumed) house-keeping.

Ideally, Shotwell start up when I plug the camera in, proceed rapidly to deal with downloading, and use idle
time later on to do the chores.

Is there any way of achieving this?

Michael