Re: [Shotwell] How to stay current with shotwell?

On 11/10/2014 11:41 AM, Colin Law wrote:
On 10 November 2014 16:27, Gerry Reno <greno verizon net> wrote:
On 11/10/2014 11:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
On 10 November 2014 15:14, Gerry Reno <greno verizon net> wrote:
I would like to stay current with Shotwell releases by compiling everything from source.

The problem I run into is that with each Shotwell release dependencies are changing and many times the
distro is unable
to provide some of these dependencies.
Can you give some examples of dependencies that the distro is unable to provide?

Colin
How about even the compiler:
$ make
Shotwell requires Vala compiler 0.20.1 or greater.  You are running 0.16.1 \b.
make: *** [valacheck] Error 1
# yum list vala
Available Packages
vala.i686                                                  0.16.1-1.fc17
updates

And before you go down the path that F17 is EOL.  There are a lot of people who have very stable systems
running older
releases of Fedora as well as other distros.  Including Ubuntu LTS distros that would like to be able to
have a current
and working Shotwell install.
Good point.  In the case of old versions of Ubuntu, Vala is available
via a ppa I believe, but I don't know whether the equivalent exists
for Fedora.

It is difficult to see a solution.  If the required version of Vala is
not available for Fedora then the only solution I can see would be to
build it oneself.  The same would apply for any other dependencies I
imagine.  Perhaps that is what you were thinking of,  a complete set
of sources and build scripts for all the dependencies.

Colin

Is there a way to compile Shotwell and all of its dependencies from source separate from the distro as a
whole build
process?

That's what I am asking for.  An entire build process for everything.