[Shotwell] Deleting using Debian Wheezy repo

Clint Rogers clinton at yorba.org
Fri Apr 12 00:39:34 UTC 2013

Hi Richard,

> Is there any improvement in latest versions with emptying the wastebasket
> in Shotwell?

As luck would have it, we've been having some discussions about
profiling and optimization here recently, and although no work was
done directly on moving to the trash as such, I can tell you that
we're currently focusing on exactly the type of performance problem
you've noted.

I wonder if it's something akin to the performance problems detailed
in http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/979...

> Which brings me to real use cases with Shotwell and suggestion for
> impovement
>
> Its typical with modern DSLR cameras to fire off hundreds of shots. 99%
> will be deleted before any processing.
>
> Suggestion #1 : allow "delete" from the preview image in the shotwell app.

This makes sense; I'll ticket it right away.

> Suggestion #2 : allow complete bypass of the slightly convoluted
> wastebasket.Simply put the original image directly in the trash can or
> "hard delete" immediately depending on a setting. No DB access at all.
If I'm understanding this correctly, rather than have Shotwell's
internal wastebasket as a tier above your desktop's, you'd rather just
use your desktop's wastebasket directly.  A setting seems like it
might confuse some less-savvy users - would it be better to have, say,
Shift+Delete or holding Shift when adding something to Shotwell's
trash?  (This key combination seems to be fairly common among other
Linux programs, does about the same thing, and, as such, would be
least likely to negatively surprise or confuse people.)

Either way, though, I'll add a feature request for an insta-trash as
well, and we can talk about the UI as we work on it.

> This will also not leave the user sat there for 15 minutes twiddling the
> thumb
This seems like the crux of the matter here - simply trashing a group
of files should NOT take terribly long, and while there is going to be
a little per-file overhead, as you might expect, we feel that it could
be far better than it is at the moment.

> Thanks a lot
>
> Except for the long delay in wastebasket and frequent freeze when writing
> metadata (at 99%)
Are you on the version that comes with a new install of Wheezy by
default (0.12.3)?  Metadata writing should be dramatically improved in
0.13 and beyond; if you're seeing this in something later than 0.12.x,
then it's a regression, and we'd like to know about it.

> its generally a joy to use shotwell. Keep up the good
> work.
We do try, and it's exactly these kinds of compliments and words of
encouragement that make it worthwhile.

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention.

Cheers,
-c