[Shotwell] Deleting using Debian Wheezy repo

Richard Riley rileyrg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:42:46 UTC 2013

Is there any improvement in latest versions with emptying the wastebasket
in Shotwell? It takes an *age* when I tell it to actually remove the files
too (or move to trash in shotwell terminology).

Which brings me to real use cases with Shotwell and suggestion for
impovement

Its typical with modern DSLR cameras to fire off hundreds of shots. 99%
will be deleted before any processing.

Suggestion #1 : allow "delete" from the preview image in the shotwell app.

Suggestion #2 : allow complete bypass of the slightly convoluted
wastebasket.Simply put the original image directly in the trash can or
"hard delete" immediately depending on a setting. No DB access at all.
Users are savvy enough to recover from the trash can - it's why its there.
This will also not leave the user sat there for 15 minutes twiddling the
thumb when he elects to empty the shotwell wastebasket in order to
physically remove the files from the event file hierarchy.

Thanks a lot

Except for the long delay in wastebasket and frequent freeze when writing
metadata (at 99%) its generally a joy to use shotwell. Keep up the good
work.