Re: Add stand-alone password and passphrase generator functionality

Hi Niels,

thanks for your reply!

Those mockups are really beautiful! Are you working on implementing this?

About the passphrases: Yes, i'm asking for it explicitly as well.

This is how the EFF recommended KeePassXC solved this
https://keepassxc.org/images/screenshots/linux/screen_006.png
It's a tab. But i guess there will be a more GNOME-way as well!?

I think passwords and passphrases are two different concepts to achieve the same goal - more security and
privacy. Just because many people just do not care about really safe passwords, because they are too
complicated in their daily use. Passphrases enable the possibility of realizing high entropy in many places
(hard disk encryption, GPG, master password of a password manager, etc.) while at the same time making it
truly memorable for people who need security they don't want to copy/paste or look up each time.

Maybe it is also possible to combine both concepts under "key". And then offer both ways.

The classical password way
https://keepassxc.org/images/screenshots/linux/screen_005.png
And a way to create and manage a dice based approach too.

What do you technically think: Would it be hard to implement it right next to passwords?

Niels De Graef <nielsdegraef gmail com> hat am 19. August 2018 um 20:49 geschrieben:

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your feedback!

The password generation feature is indeed a good idea. Actually, the latest
mockups [1] of Passwords & Keys actually contains this exact feature.

If you're explicitly also asking for passphrase generation; I'm personally not
so sure how it would fit into the design. IMHO, I think it would be an
unnecessary duplicate effort if we have the password generator already working.

Cheers,
Niels

[1]:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/passwords-and-keys/passwords-and-keys.png