Erasing the Gnome Keyring....

I wrote this review of it:

Whiule my technical understanding of it may be a touch limited, it seems to me to be an automated password / access generator, for access to programs or the access of programs (and other things) to passwords and the operations they enable; through the use of a master password.

The trouble is that it opens up at random times, with NO information about what program wants to access the password, or worse WHO may be wanting to access the keyring; or why.

This is a totally unacceptable lack of user control.

There is no control panel. No OFF switch. If you uninstall it  - via the control center, it removes python, the Software Centre etc.., etc., etc...

So you have to reinstall the Software Centre / python etc., etc., etc via Synaptic, and guess what - this program reinstalls it's self, along with ALL the other programs it removed in the uninstall.

I think it's like a cancer... you cut it out and it grows back.

What ever the "merrits" of the security level it enhances - the annoying out of the blue, requests it makes in random "not connected to any program" pop up messages, the lack of information as the basis of these requests and the very real and damaging uninstalls, that it does to your system, make this a BAD program.

There are no settings, no control panel, no OFF switch, no CLEAN uninstal, no information on what or who or why it's suddenly decided to demand that you enter the password, because some "program" is requesting it......

Bad, Bad, Bad........

There are a few hundred thousand returns in Google for "Keyring + uninstall + Ubuntu".

 And there is NOTHING on the Gnome website about removing it...

live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring

End of review.

Without getting really fucking nasty - take this as a hint....

I certainly regret installing it.

LOTS of other people do as well.

Google:

ubuntu turn keyring off

About 3,920,000 results (0.44 seconds)

Search Results

  1. [ubuntu] how to turn off keyring password entering when connecting ...

    Feb 2, 2009 – I have ubuntu 8.10 on my toshiba laptop. When I had conneceted to my wlan network for the first time I was asked for a password for the keyring ...
  2. How do I turn off all the password prompts? - Ask Ubuntu

    askubuntu.com/.../how-do-i-turn-off-all-the-password-prompts
    May 13, 2012 – Is there anyway to turn off all of this "security" and tell my Ubuntu that ... The key ring has "remember forever" and "don't ask me again" buttons.
  3. How can I stop being prompted to unlock the 'default' keyring on ...

    askubuntu.com/.../how-can-i-stop-being-prompted-to-unlock-the-def...
    Aug 4, 2010 – Whenever Ubuntu boots up, a dialogue pops up asking me to unlock my .... (As many answers already pointed out) your keyrings are in System ...
  4. How to Disable Keyring Password in Ubuntu | TechnoBlob

    Nov 29, 2010 – I've been playing around with Ubuntu recently. ... setting up the system, the system always prompts for the keyring password, and thus, does not allow ... Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  5. How to disable gnome-keyring? - LinuxQuestions.org

    15 posts - 14 authors - 8 Sep 2005
    ' After updating from ubuntu hoary to breezy, I was asked to select a ... log out and log back in, or just search for the gnome-keyring related ...
  6. How do I get rid of the keyring password prompt - Ubuntu One

    https://one.ubuntu.com/.../how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-keyring-password...
    For #1, if you want to remove the keyring password prompt, it is recommended you setup a login for Ubuntu and set the keyring password to be the same as your ...
  7. Option to turn off the keyring password - Ubuntu brainstorm

    brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/3006/
    Mar 4, 2008 – First I have to apologize for my bad english ;). I took a look for "keyring" and "password" and found nothing like this. What about an option to turn ...
  8. How to disable the "Ubuntu Keyring" for ever? - Linux Forums.org

    3 posts - 2 authors - 17 Aug 2010
    If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may ... Edit: oops... just noticed you said "Ubuntu Keyring". I don't run Ubuntu and don't know if that's the same thing as Gnome Keyring. Also ...

You have top supply a total removal method for the Gnome Keyring...

This is one of the most anti-popular "features" I have ever come across - for every possible reason under the sun.

So can you fit in a user control panel, to switch it off, to remove it - without gutting your system etc.,

Regards

Shane

--

"Oh Benson. Dear Benson. You are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence."

--

"Oh Benson. Dear Benson. You are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence."