Re: Is there any way to kill a seahorse?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 01:33:25PM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> >Unlocking your keyring should be integrated via PAM when you
> >login via the display manager. It should open the "login"
> >keyring using your login password.
>
> Well, then, that's the problem.  For whatever reason, it isn't
> hooked up properly and I need it to either go away or work
> correctly.  I don't care which, but one or the other.

I run xubuntu and I have always had the OP's problem, seahorse simply
does not integrate correctly with the xubuntu startup sequence so that
my login password isn't used to unlock the keyring.

I soon (again like the OP) got fed up with this so I explicitly sort out
the issue in my .xprofile which gets run at X startup as follows:-

    eval $(gnome-keyring-daemon --start)
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
    export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
    echo export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$SSH_AUTH_SOCK >~/tmp/sock

I don't think this issue worries 99% of users, they either never use ssh
or they put up with the occasional request for a password or they
generate ssh keys with no pass-phrase.

(by the way I don't think that final line writing to ~/tmp/sock is still
necessary, I used it for something else that wanted SSH_AUTH_SOCK)

--
Chris Green