Re: GNOME Keyring and Seahorse Goals and Vision

Le samedi 09 octobre 2010 à 17:44 -0500, Stef Walter a écrit :
> Please let me
> know if I got something wrong, misrepresented or missed out on
> something.

Under "Smart card management", I would prefer "Smartcard / Crypto token
management" title. Very few users understand that a crypto key is in
fact a CCID reader with smartcard chip sealed.

For example, the Feitian PKI and the ePass PKI token have the same chip.

Also: "Each smart card deployment usually comes with a management
interface or scripts to do these sort of things." is not very clear. In
fact, proprietary solutions never work.

I would suggest:

"OpenSC is the standard management framework, which can be used to test
insertion, to erase and initialize smart cards and modify PIN/PUK codes.
Gnome-Keyring aims to support fully standard hardware, with native
OpenSC driver and CCID interface. Proprietary hardware with OpenCT
interface is not supported."

If you are interested in reading a short introduction to smartcards,
visit:http://www.gooze.eu/howto/smartcard-quickstarter-guide

or download as PDF:
http://www.gooze.eu/printpdf/book/export/html/36

Not everything should rely on PKCS#11, at least OpenSC should be
mentioned.

Kind regards,