Seahorse agent and S/MIME

Dear List:

Hi!  I just subscribed...

I use the Balsa email agent, and usually sign messages with a PGP key. Seahorse-agent handles the key nicely.

But...I'm trying to track down some "seahorse-agent[2002]: unrecognized command: HAVEKEY" messages that have started showing up in /var/log/messages (also an "ISTRUSTED" message). Since they seem to emanate from gpgsm (specifically gpgsm_agent_havekey in sm/call-agent.c), I tried signing a message with an S/MIME key, and sure enough that logged another such message. Balsa popped up an error dialog with:

Send failed: Message could not be signed
GpgSM: could not list keys for "my-name my isp": Unknown IPC command

So--does seahorse-agent not support S/MIME? And if not, could it fail in a nicer and more informative way?

Thanks for any insight!

Peter