Re: gnome-keyring Seahorse and clear text passwords: a proposal for a pragmatic solution

Corey wrote:
>  With a warning in the password window to
> maintain transparency. IMO there are a few apps that could use similar
> warnings or first run messages, it would really help to further user
> education. Thanks all for your time, and effort. I really enjoy this
> system we have here where even non-technical users have a voice and
> can spur discussion.

And thanks for participating. Your help is welcome.

That said, there's a hell of a lot of hard work going on in the
gnome-keyring and seahorse projects. Currently my focus is a new cross
desktop spec [1] for transfer and communication of passwords/secrets.

In addition there's various security solutions, near the end of my email
to Thorsten, which I'd like to research and/or implement. Not to mention
completing the key/certificate work.

I'm not too keen on taking time away from other work to implement
solutions of debatable value, such as the prompting password window. I'd
much rather see how things play out security wise once we have the more
solid ideas implemented.

All the best,

Stef