Re: gnome-keyring Seahorse and clear text passwords: a proposal for a pragmatic solution

Neil Broadley wrote:
> Can I add that I don't think the solution needs to be "lock seahorse and
> require a password to use it".  I just think that when Seahorse is
> accessed, passwords are by default not shown in clear text.  Since this
> is possibly not fully useful, a button to "Reveal passwords" would then
> prompt via gksudo/policykit/whatever.

So what you're suggesting is to have the keyrings live in a daemon
running as root, essentially another security context, which then uses
policykit or gksudo for permisions? An interesting idea. Certainly
non-trivial, and needs a lot more thought, but interesting

At least the concept of having the keyrings live in another security
context is interesting. I haven't thought about this much, so I don't
know whether it would cause more problems than it would solve. But this
bears thinking about in the long term.

Cheers,

Stef