conceptual questions

While browsing around to see if something exists before I start yet another thing to maintain, I found seahorse. I'm looking for something that holds keys (or even raw passwords) in a background process volatilely. Then client applications "set" and "get" keys to it. Just like ssh-agent except having some means of actually getting the keys and/or passwords. Or at least be able to send it some arbitrary data for it to decrypt and securely pass back to a client. Is something like this part of seahorse? Any one know of something that is? A reusable solution to this seems to obvious a need for somebody not to have already solved it.