Re: Vala and jhbuild

Adam Schreiber wrote:
> Could you please install jhbuild and the latest vala module it has and
> test any vala changes you make?

I've tried installing jhbuild and it always has problems for me. I tried
again and there were so many errors, HTTP 404's etc.. that I gave up.

> 0.5.x is a very different beast than 0.3.5 and it's causing the build
> to break.  The latest is that seahorse-commands.vala doesn't add a
> #include "seahorse-pgp.h" to seahorse-commands.c anymore and the
> #defines aren't defined in seahorse-commands.c.

However, the good news is, and I hope this is good news ... I've been
changing the Vala code back to C code every time I touch a file. So as
it stands now there's just one remaining Vala file in the tree.

Why? The goal of using vala was to make seahorse more hackable. But it
turns out, at least at this stage in vala's development, it wasn't
really helping.

The biggest draw back was that one had to understand what was happening
in the C code beneath vala in order to fix problems that would arise.
Vala would have peculiar behaviors, and as such was not an abstraction
that could be relied on.

Perhaps the experiences of a fully vala coded project would be
different. And I'm sure vala will progress to be something solid.

Vala taught me a lot about GObject, and I believe that seahorse has
benefited in many ways. It's a great project to be involved in, if
anyone is looking for some cool hacking to do, and I hope that vala
really succeeds.

Cheers,

Stef