Re: Seahorse ate my public keyring

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 22:00 -0400, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Christopher R. Maden <crism maden org> wrote:
> > Is this a known problem?  Is it fixed?
>
> As far as I know, no one else has reported this issue.

Thanks, Adam.  A little more detail then:

I had seen this once before, but had blamed it on interaction with
Thunderbird-Enigmail, but I’m not using that any more.

One possible source of the problem is that I keep my private keyring on
a USB device rather than the hard drive, and use gpg.conf to point to
it.  I am not sure why that would cause a problem, but it’s the only
nonstandard thing I can think of.

I had Seahorse open, looking at the list of known public keys.  A few
minutes after I had messed with trust and validity options, it suddenly
refreshed the display, nuking all the keys except one from
eSoCverify.com (expired).

Does Seahorse wait a few minutes after a change to update files on disk?
Does it poll for net updates to known keys?  Could it fight with the
command-line GnuPG that Evolution calls?

I’m at a loss as to what could have caused the problem, however; it was
very abrupt.  I am definitely not willing to use Seahorse again until I
have a better understanding of what could have caused this.

> The good news is that if you still have your private key you can use
> it to regenerate your public key.  Check the GPG docs for how.

Fortunately, I had published the public key and was able to just
re-import it, but thanks.

~Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
“If it’s not an American flag, it’s probably a bomb.”