Re: Completed gnome-keyring-manager functionality in seahorse

Adam Schreiber wrote:
> I think there's some that's still missing, ACL for saved secrets, and
> some that was never there,

Completed this and checked it in.

> being able to save your own secret
> equivalent to "remembering a password", that I will be working on over
> winter break.

Sounds good.

> On the Passwords tab in the Preferences, "Keyring" should be two words
> everywhere.

I changed this to 'Password Storage'. 'Keyring' is such an overloaded
term :(

> I also think "Change Unlock Password" should become
> "Change Master Password" because that's what the users have been
> introduced to in Mozilla products, what it was in the old UI and
> Unlock seems a bit too close to the API.

Since there isn't one master password, I think using that terminology
would be confusing. Also gnome-keyring uses the 'unlock' terminology
throughout its UI extensively.

> On the Change Unlock dialog
> the first paragraph while accurate from a security standpoint, the
> user will never see the program "seahorse-preferences" when the
> previous window says "Encryption Preferences" so it will be confusing.

Hmmm, this means that somehow seahorse-preferences is not calling
gnome_program_init (with the readable name) properly. That's how
gnome-keyring gets the human readable name ie: g_get_application_name().

>  The user is also being asked to evaluate two different things: 1. Is
> this application allowed to request this? and 2. What should I change
> my password to?

I think that perhaps we can just change the 'Deny' button to 'Cancel',
in any case this dialog is a part of gnome-keyring.

> Also, clicking deny on the current dialog shouldn't
> result in an error message back in seahorse.

Good point.

> Changing the Master
> password on the default keyring will also break the auto-unlock pam
> functionality if it doesn't also change their user password.

The gnome-keyring dialog should probably have a message to that effect
if changing the user's 'login' keyring.

> I'm also still slightly confused about the multiple key rings bit.  I
> thought from your poll of d-d-l it didn't appear anyone was using more
> than the default key ring.

People responded about how multiple keyrings are useful to them. So all
the additions to gnome-keyring have taken that into account. In
particular anyone since gnome-keyring's PAM functionaly who had a
previous keyring will have more than one keyring.

> Would Epiphany use an additional one if
> they ever switch to gnome-keyring as a secret store?

Possible, but it's up to the epiphany application developers.

> Has the
> gnome-keyring-source been editted so that all of the key rings'
> secrets are displayed in the password tab?

It displays the passwords from the default keyring. You can see this
take effect as you change the default keyring.

Cheers,
Stef Walter