Re: Completed gnome-keyring-manager functionality in seahorse

n Dec 8, 2007 5:24 PM, Stef Walter <stef memberwebs com> wrote:
> I've added all the remaining functionality of gnome-keyring-manager to
> seahorse. Most of it is apparent in the preferences. Please do bang away
> at it and see if there's anything that I screwed up on.

I think there's some that's still missing, ACL for saved secrets, and
some that was never there, being able to save your own secret
equivalent to "remembering a password", that I will be working on over
winter break.

On the Passwords tab in the Preferences, "Keyring" should be two words
everywhere.  I also think "Change Unlock Password" should become
"Change Master Password" because that's what the users have been
introduced to in Mozilla products, what it was in the old UI and
Unlock seems a bit too close to the API.  On the Change Unlock dialog
the first paragraph while accurate from a security standpoint, the
user will never see the program "seahorse-preferences" when the
previous window says "Encryption Preferences" so it will be confusing.
 The user is also being asked to evaluate two different things: 1. Is
this application allowed to request this? and 2. What should I change
my password to?  If broken in to two dialogs, the first one's buttons
should be "Allow" and "Deny", the second's would be "cancel" and
"Change Password". Also, clicking deny on the current dialog shouldn't
result in an error message back in seahorse. Changing the Master
password on the default keyring will also break the auto-unlock pam
functionality if it doesn't also change their user password.

I'm also still slightly confused about the multiple key rings bit.  I
thought from your poll of d-d-l it didn't appear anyone was using more
than the default key ring.  Would Epiphany use an additional one if
they ever switch to gnome-keyring as a secret store?  Has the
gnome-keyring-source been editted so that all of the key rings'
secrets are displayed in the password tab?

> You'll notice that I put the 'Passwords' tab first in the preferences. I
> think it should be that way in the main 'Passwords and Encryption Keys'
> window.
>
> Sad as it is (with respect to our roots), the passwords functionality is
> what most people will end up using seahorse for.

That's fine with me even though my extension emphasis will still be on
encryption.  The About Me password change functionality probably ought
to be modified to use secure entries instead of plain ones.

> We may also want to move our desktop entries into the Preferences menu
> of GNOME. I think it makes the most sense there. In my opinion it's a
> tool used less frequently for managing an aspect of the user's
> configuration.

On Dropline GNOME, gnome-keyring-manager appears in
System->Administration.  That would work for us as well I think.  Our
preferences desktop file also needs to be edited to be titled
"Encryption and Key Rings".

Let me know what you think,

Adam