[sawfish] Re: Sawfish in python??? scheme?

12 hours ago, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 15:24:47 +0900 (JST) Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe other Scheme than guile is desired.
>
> There are many Scheme implementations out there.  A lot of them are
> very limited and probably wouldn't fit Sawfish's needs.  OTOH, there
> are a small group of very good ones.
>
> Eli mentioned Racket, which is one of the "very good ones" group.

I should have also mentioned that I'm very biased.  (I'm part of the
project.)

> I'd like to mention Chicken (http://call-cc.org).  Chicken is a
> quite fast Scheme implementation, small in terms of size, big in
> terms of features.  Chicken focuses practical applications of
> Scheme. Chicken compiles Scheme to C (which can then be compiled to
> native code),and can also interpret Scheme code (i.e., it does
> provide a REPL).
>
> The Chicken FFI makes the integration of Scheme and C code easy
> [...]

With the above chunk of salt in mind, I'd take the second-class REPL
as a disadvantage.  Also, IMO racket is hard to beat in being able to
customize a language to fit existing code, and it has an extremely
convenient FFI (even more bias here: I wrote most of it) which can
make it trivial to split things so some functionality is in C.  OTOH,
it can be pretty big (though racket processes on my machine seem close
to the sawfish processes).

Regardless, any lisp (including librep) would be better than python,
IMO.