Re: Make panels open above other windows at all times.

In the time of Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:34:40 +0100, thus spoke fuchur:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:35:54 +0100
> wrote Andrea Vettorello <andrea vettorello gmail com>:
>
>>On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:21 AM, HB <cunning plan gmx com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I really like Sawfish and would like to replace OpenBox (WM I'm using
>>> now) with it, but the panels aren't shown above all other windows
>>> until I click on them.  How do I make the panels stay above all other
>>> windows at all times?  I'm using Sawfish in Xfce and the panels are
>>> Xfce panels.
>>
>>If none comes out with a better solution, you can try a quick hack using
>>a "match" rule for panels that put them on a different depth (depth=2?)
>>than normal windows...
>>

> Maybe it is should be better to check if the panel has Window type dock.
> To check this run "xwininfo -all" and look if the window type for the
> panel is dock like this:
>   Window manager hints:
>       Client accepts input or input focus: Yes Initial state is Normal
>       State
>       Displayed on all desktops
>       Window type:
>           Dock
>       Window state:
>           Sticky
>           Skip Pager

Yes, Xfce Panel is of type Dock.  I think the problem lay with my having
the 'autohide' property set.  When it's not set, Sawfish recognizes the
panels just fine.  I followed Andrea Vettorello advice and it works well
now.  Thank you Andrea.  Thank you both for your replies.

I don't know why I haven't been using Sawfish in the past, but it
certainly is my default WM now.  The amount of customization/
configuration is spectacular.  I love this thing.

Cheers :)