Re: window-matcher avoid . nil

Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing around with window-matcher avoid . nil and this is what I
> have:

Well, I played a bit with this.  These work as you'd expect, without
applying your patch:

(add-window-matcher 'WM_CLASS "^Pager/pager$"
                    `(avoid . ,nil))

(add-window-matcher 'WM_CLASS "^Pager/pager$"
                    '(avoid . ()))

But this doesn't:

(add-window-matcher 'WM_CLASS "^Pager/pager$"
                    '(avoid . nil))

The problem is that with that last matcher the avoid property gets the
value 'nil (i.e., the *symbol* nil) as opposed to '(), which is what nil
(unquoted) evaluates to.

This was a bit of a surprise.  I'm not a lisp expert by any means, but
in the only other lisp variant I'm much familiar with (emacs lisp) this
evaluates to true:

(eq nil 'nil)

But in rep it's false.  I was wondering if I was going crazy tracing
through the window-avoided-p definition until I realized that sometimes
(window-get w 'avoid) returned "nil" and sometimes "()".

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>