Re: What's gaol?

[Yeah, a bit redundant... the other mail reminded me this one was
written but waiting review before sending]

Hi,
teika lavabit com (2010-10-02 at 1422.35 +0900):
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:10:39 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Adds edge-flip-enabled as gaol'ed symbol
>
> Tell me, what's gaol? I've been wanting to ask it, but finally
> the occasion has arrived. :)

Another of those words you learn from programs (like yank from
emacs). ;] It appears in the dict, but no idea how widely used:

  Gaol \Gaol\ (j[=a]l), n. [See {Jail}.]
     A place of confinement, especially for minor offenses or
     provisional imprisonment; a jail. [Preferably, and in the
     United States usually, written {jail}.]
     [1913 Webster]

The librep info confirms the usage:

  * `gaol' module providing semi-safe environment for untrusted code
     to evaluate in

So conceptually, like chroot, jails, virtual machines, etc, a mean to
separate code parts (with different levels of effectiveness and
security).

GSR