problems compiling librep from git

I am attempting to compile librep from the git source and get the following
from autogen.sh:
    Running autoheader
    Running libtoolize
    libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
    libtoolize: copying file `./config.guess'
    libtoolize: copying file `./config.sub'
    libtoolize: copying file `./install-sh'
    libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
    libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
    libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
    libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
    libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
    libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
    libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
    libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
    Running aclocal
    Running autoconf
    configure.in:98: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
          See the Autoconf documentation.
    configure.in:131: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADER
    configure.in:220: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SEARCH_LIBS

the is after pulling down the latest auto tools:

    autoheader (GNU Autoconf) 2.65
    libtoolize (GNU libtool) 2.2.6b
    aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.6
    autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.65

How can AC_MSG_ERROR, etc be undefined???

Thanks!!
mark