Re: preview of my proposed changes

Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2010, 06:41:22 schrieb Teika Kazura:

> >> ?? The transition will never finish that early. The schedule doesn't
> >> matter for Scheme transition.
> >
> > What I meant is that, the replacement for rep needs to have it, not that
> > porting to GTK+3 is done then. Also a lot can happen in 4 months, so we
> > can't say for sure (in oct you said that nobody worked on tabs, and now
> > happened a lot at that end (though more needs to be done)).
> >
> > Either way, if the transist, then it's the task with the highest priority
> > (maybe I can already start some work between the years (off from work),
> > depending on whether it's already decided then or not).
>
> I'm getting the picture. If rep2scheme is to happen, then it is the
> best time now, since it saves the hard task of gtk+3 transition.

Right.

> Because of its difficulty, the possibility has to be examined
> carefully. (How much time each can spend, the level of understanding
> of X / WM / rep / scheme, etc.) If the task fails, much time will be
> lost with little gain.

That's of course a very valid point.

> I forgot to mention that many users will feel puzzled if Sawfish is
> rewritten in Scheme (Schewfish??), and in fact I am so, too. (But I'd
> like to encourage the transition.) If users don't have their own code
> and only ~/.sawfish/custom is used, then they don't have to worry
> much.  I have some code by me, and I won't have time to learn
> Scheme. Anyway rep Sawfish won't die so soon even after Schawfish
> comes out. Well, let's see what happens.

*if* we decide, I would keep HEAD with rep and open a new branch sawfish-<lang-
name>, so that users stay uneffected as long as possible.

Ah... and please don't call it Schewfish (sounds awfully) ;)

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:17:28 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > I guess in your case I don't need to ask, whether you would help us
> > migrating.
>
> Chris, Michal said it's his "future wish". I don't know how eager
> guile-fish supporters are, but without Michal, it'd be unlikely to
> success.

That's right. What I meant is: if we transist and accept Michals wish, when
I'm sure he will help us. And I know Michal might be the best sawfish coder
outwhere now.

Regards,
Chris