Re: Thinking of going git-hub

Am Mittwoch, den 23.09.2009, 15:30 +0900 schrieb Teika Kazura:
> (To: Chris Cc: sawfish-list)
>
> Hi, Chris. I'm thinking of putting my branches on github, and I'd like
> to here your opinion.

For me it doesn't matter in which manner you share your patches.

> It'd be good for me, if it goes like this:
> 1. I put my commits in github branch.
> 2. Tell you what's changed, and ask to merge to the master.
> 3. You pull in.
> 4. You say "Oh, Teika has did it again. I fix it." Hack, hack, hack.
> 5. Commit the fix.
>
> The problem is my patches quality. If you don't think they're good
> enough, then it'd be better to commit *once*, i.e, you prepare
> an improved patch, and commit it, rather than applying mine and
> overwrite it with yours. Thus, the log looks cleaner.

Well as long as it happens in HEAD before FF (Feature Freeze) and not in
HEAD after FF or in a BRANCH, that doesn't matter, as HEAD after FF and
BRANCH are considered stable, it doesn't matter.

> On the other hand, overwrite-by-another-commit model reduces my
> labor, because I can use the same branch throughout. Currently,
> I dedicate one branch for one patch. After submission, the branch is
> thrown away. I'm a bit tired ;)
>
> I think my doc patches are not bad, but Chrislein, you can speak
> frankly. For difficult patches, I'll first ask in the wiki or ML,
> so I think it'll be mostly ok.

They for sure aren't bad. Your work is appreciated.

... It's kinda funny having you trying speaking german, the idioms are
well choosen, but you won't get an award for the orthography :P

> If github is ok, then each time I'll explicitly ask you to merge,
> and tell you what's available. It must be better than periodical
> automatic merges.

I'm fine with that.

> I'm aware of difference of natures between git commit log and
> ChangeLog. I'll send you ChangeLog portions by email as I do so
> today. (In another email, I asked about ChangeLog's life.)
>
> Tschüs,
> Teika (Teika kazura)

Kind Regards,