Let's revert button patch.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:15:16 +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> How do I redefine Button8-Move to move a window with sawfish, using
> ~/.xbindkeysrc ? I feel that it's impossible, because ~/.xbindkeysrc
> is simply calling shell commands.

Janek is right, but he sounds confused, too. So let me first review
things.

You use xbindkey to call a shell command after key / mouse event.
In our context, you invoke xvkdb, and it generates key press event,
e.g. AudioPlay. (Many unused key symbols are listed under
/usr/include/X11, in keysymdef.h & XF86keysym.h )

Usual Sawfish commands can be effectively bound to button8, by
binding it to AudioPlay. When you want a new binding, then you
can do it in good-ol' way; Open the configurator, choose "grab",
and press Button8. Then it is interpreted as AudioPlay key, and you
choose a command.

Oll Korrect? No. Never. Button8-Move is a valid event, but there's no
such thing like "AudioPlay-Move" which is definitely necessary for
interactive window move!

Thus, we need at least button 8 for the room. B6 and 7 are
horiz scroll, so you can't force users to use them for Sawfish
commands.

I propose to revert the button patch.

Some more need elucidation:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:02:59 +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> If we cannot reach this goal currently then Mouse Buttons patch
> should be reverted. Better have 9 nicely working buttons than
> crappy/broken support for 20 buttons.

You can bind buttons > 9, regardless of the patch. It only affects
buttons 6 - 9.

> what was the problem with russian keyboards? Did 9 buttons
> broke russian keyabord mappings?

No, as far as I tested, mouse button numbers (5 or 9) doesn't affect
the issue.

(The keyboard problem is best to ask to X keyboard guru first. X
keyboard is notoriously complex. This is one of most important
items on my agenda for 1.7/3.0.)

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)