Re: Catching every key typed into a window

On Sun, 31 May 2009 14:07:26 +1000, Rafal Kolanski wrote:
> I am looking for a way to inspect keys typed into a window and passing
> them to another function for processing [...]
>
> I'm looking at the docs for unbound-key-hook, which looks like it
> should be what I want [...]
> From the docs, I'm guessing I should return nil. Any advice?

Hi, Rafal. Any progress? I can't give you the solution, but instead let
me raise some points, hopefully hints.

Sometimes the doc is wrong, so look directly at the source.
It's defined in src/keys.c. If you know elementary C, then it's often
not so difficult to guess the meaning.

And the hook is used in several files in lisp. So studying them also
helps. Do you know ack / git-grep? They easily finds the location of
symbols. They're described in 'Tips' page in wiki.

> but I have no clue how to use it properly
> without rendering my keyboard useless.

You can kill and restart sawfish with a background shell script, which
triggers the job when a USB flash memory, for example, is inserted.

You can also override ~/.sawfish/rc, with HOME=/foo/var.

I hope this mail helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Teika (Teika kazura)