Re: Overhauling the root-menu

>> > - sawfish.wm.commands.xterm would be sawfish.wm.commands.user, not just
>> > containing the "xterm" command, but also (theoretical defaults in
>> > brackets):
>> > * editor (xedit) - should be o.k.
>> > * browser (www-browser) - should be o.k.
>> > * mailer (xdg-email) - opens the new-mail dialog of your mail-app
>> > * image-viewer (gqview) - difficult to decide a default value
>> > * media-player (gmplayer) - should be o.k.
>> > * package-manager (gksu -u root synaptic) - Not sure about this one in
>> > general
>> > They are fully adjustable in the "Default Applications" group in
>> > sawfish-ui
>> > - some more separators
>> > - Sawfish Root Menu is the first entry (just a dummy to display the
>> > text)
>> > - Display errors and Kill Window (xkill) added
>> > - xterm-args defcustom removed (add your args to xterm defcustom, works
>> > aswell)
>> > - When GNOME-Integration is loaded, users can decide wether to use the
>> > default-apps-menu or the gnome-apps-menu
>> >
>> > How to apply the patch:
>> >
>> > git mv lisp/sawfish/wm/commands/xterm.jl
>> > lisp/sawfish/wm/commands/user.jl
>> > patch -Np1 -i 1
>> >
>> > Let me hear your thoughts,
>> > Chris
>> >
>> > Sawfish rules!
>>
>> I use my own root menu, so changing the default sawfish root menu will
>> not effect me at all. In case you are wondering, this is what I have:

>> xterm
>> 2 xterms
>> 3 xterms
>> ---------------
>> firefox
>> skype
>> ---------------
>> vlc
>> rhythmbox
>> ---------------
>> inkscape
>> gimp
>> gthumb
>> ---------------
>> windows ( opens window-menu )
>> ---------------
>> restart sawfish
>> kill X
>> poweroff
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>

> what command do you use for kill X? is there also a restart X
> possibilty?

The command to kill X is simply 'quit'. This is because 'quit' will
terminate sawfish and since sawfish is the last executable started in
my .Xclients, if that finishes, the whole X session finishes and I go
back to text mode (run level 3).

I don't have a restart X menu item because if I need to restart X I
simply kill X as above and then restart via 'startx'. But you could
easily hook up something into the menu that would restart X. The
solution will depend on what run level you started X from I guess, I
always log in in run level 3 (text mode) and start X manually via
'startx', so when I kill X I get back to text mode where I can type
'startx' again. If you start in run level 5 you will probably have
some graphical something already at startup in which case I'm not sure
what happens if you kill X from sawfish.

Cheers,
Daniel