Re: Sawfish/Gnome/Xinerama dropping windows

I put the information from xwininfo and xprop below.  xwininfo reports that the first gnome-panel
window is unmapped with override redirect state no.  xprop reports the WM_STATE property is not
found.  The second gnome-panel window is also unmapped with override redirect state yes and
WM_STATE is not found.

Just making sure I understand so far, this means the windows were unmapped.  Does unmapped mean
closed?

We don't know if the unmapping was caused by the client (which is gnome-panel in this case) or
some bug in sawfish?

Once a window is unmapped, there is no way to map it again?

So at this point I should restart gnome-panel and wait for the next occurence.  What information
would help us learn more the next time?

Scott

--- Timo Korvola <Timo Korvola iki fi> wrote:

> Scott Anderson <ee_in_co yahoo com> writes:

> > In other words, what options do we still have?
>
> xwininfo -id <winid> shows the mapping state and override redirect
> flag, among other things.  xprop -id <winid> WM_STATE shows the
> WM_STATE property.  If it does not exist, the window is withdrawn,
> which I would expect to be the case.

xwininfo -id 18880595

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1201853 "gnome-panel"

  Absolute upper-left X:  112
  Absolute upper-left Y:  1154
  Relative upper-left X:  112
  Relative upper-left Y:  1154
  Width: 226
  Height: 21
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: yes
  Map State: IsUnMapped
  Override Redirect State: yes
  Corners:  +112+1154  -2862+1154  -2862-25  +112-25
  -geometry 226x21+112-25

xwininfo -id 18874369

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1200001 "gnome-panel"

  Absolute upper-left X:  10
  Absolute upper-left Y:  10
  Relative upper-left X:  10
  Relative upper-left Y:  10
  Width: 10
  Height: 10
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsUnMapped
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +10+10  -3180+10  -3180-1180  +10-1180
  -geometry 10x10+10+10

xprop -id 18880595 WM_STATE
WM_STATE:  not found.

xprop -id 18874369 WM_STATE