compiling on Fedora Core 5

I am have a problem compiling sawfish for fedora core 5. I pulled the
latest CVS version today with:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome login cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co sawfish

When I run autoconf, it returns:

configure.in:1: error: possibly undefined macro: dnl
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
      m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:37: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
configure.in:79: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_LIB
configure.in:87: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADERS
configure.in:133: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
configure.in:147: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_REP
configure.in:228: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_2_0

when I run configure, it aborts with:

checking X11/extensions/Xrandr.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xrandr.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists.  ##
checking for X11/extensions/Xrandr.h... yes
./configure: line 5458: syntax error near unexpected token `XFT,'
./configure: line 5458: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XFT, xft >= 1.0,'

I have the libXft and libXft-devel packages installed. I have compiled the
CVS version before, but that was over a year ago for Fedora Core 4. Is
there something else I need to do for compiling from CVS? Any hints on
other packages I might need?

Thanks