Sawfish website revisted

I've followed the discussions about the horribly out of date website and documentation, and the confederacy of sites (e.g. the wiki, 1.3 documentation site, etc.) that have sprung up to fix this problem. I've lurked on this mailing list for several years now, and I'm going to make a bold suggestion. I think we (the active sawfish community) should create a new sourceforge project named "sawfish". I AM NOT PROPOSING A FORK, but rather simply finishing the job JSH started six years ago this coming April, when he changed the name from "sawmill" to "sawfish".

I think that this would help aleviate the perception that sawfish is a dead project. It's strange when the project is called one thing, but the main url is something else entirely. The mailing list has already been changed (The webpage currently lists both sawfish-list and sawmill-list. Sawmill is located in the "Bugs" section.), along with the bugzilla database, but the cvs tree still is refered to by the old name. I don't know how much work this would require though, but I think it needs to be done. A useful side-effect of creating a new project with the proper name of the project is that the listed developers/admins of the website can be redistributed to more active people.

The website definately needs to be updated. Adding links to the wiki and the 1.3 documentation is nice, but it's not as good as having all that information in one place. The news section hasn't been updated since 0.32. According to sourceforge, there hasn't been an official release since March 24, 2003. Infrequent mailing list traffic. All of this contributes to the impression of an abandoned project.

I know there's only so much a window manager can do, and that sawfish is a mature project. What is required for a new release? Should sawfish support cairo in the future? It would be nice if there would be a roadmap or something. If JSH can't or doesn't want to be the main developer for sawfish, it would be ever so nice if he would tell the mailing list what's up.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining or saying that JSH should do more, but I do think that a post to the mailing list about the future would be great.