LD_LIBRARY_PATH

At first I thought that I was experiencing a known problem with ssh-agent, but when I removed it from my .xsession file the problem didn't go away. Before running xinit, my LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set exactly as it was in my profile, but when I open a shell from within sawfish LD_LIBRARY_PATH is unset, completely absent. This is causing me a lot of problems. I can get around it by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .bashrc file, but that is an ugly hack and will undoubtedly cause confusion down the line. I really want to be able to set this variable in my .profile and not have to worry about it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Josh