Re: Request for comment on sawfish tutorial

On Friday 09 January 2004 10:12 am, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:08:11AM -0700, Eric Mangold wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've written a tutorial involving sawfish and I want people to tell
> > me what sucks about it :)
> >
> > Also, I'm curious if this is something that should be linked from
> > the sawfish documentation or from the project homepage.
> >
> > See Issue #1 at http://world-net.net/home/mangeng/faster_hacker/
> > series.html
>
> I've just got around to reading this.  Seeing your cboard2google.py
> and cboard2browser.py, I thought you might be interested in my
> Sawfish-only solution.  It will take the primary solution, if there
> is one, or prompt you for a search term otherwise, and then send that
> to your browser in one of a number of ways, depending upon the mode
> (i.e. the shortcut key that you used). For example, M-s will send it
> to Google, M-d to dictionary.com, M-w to Multimap (very useful for
> British Postcodes) etc.  It will even select the right page in your
> Javadocs, given a reasonably well qualified class or package name, or
> search Google for the lyrics of the song that you are currently
> listening to!  If the search term is a URL then it will visit that
> URL directly instead.  It also has a bit of magic to decide whether
> what you've highlighted is actually a URL with some extraneous stuff;
> this is useful when visiting URLs sent to you in an email -- casually
> select the whole line, not worrying about whether you've picked up
> some garbage along the way, slap M-s, and it will figure out what you
> meant.

Very cool. I much prefer to keep things like this in sawfish. At the
time, I didn't know much about librep programming, so I just took the
easy way out.

> You can decide whether you want to focus the browser window straight
> away, or to stay where you are, and you can have the new page appear
> either in the foreground or the background when you have the browser
> already focussed.  I like to be able to read an article and fire off
> 3 or 4 dictionary or Google searches with one half of my brain whilst
> the other half reads the rest of the article.

Awsome. That is very much how I like to do things as well. Barring any
major problems, I'm sure I will use your code in the tutorial.

> http://www.ewanmellor.org.uk/sawfish.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ewan.

-Eric

P.S. I think you should add your code to the sawfish wiki library. I'll
bet a lot of people go there first when they want to teach sawfish some
new tricks.