extra leave and enter events on button press

Hi,

With sawfish 1.3 CVS, a mouse click on a window sends a
leave_notify_event and a enter_notify_event to the window first,
before sending the button_press_event.  This is quite annoying, as it
breaks cut and paste and clicking in browser (mozilla) popup divs.

It only happens on the first click; the second click of a
`double-click' only sends the button_press_event.

It does not happen with other windowmanagers, but interestingly a
similar bug was fixed in metacity the night before I reported this bug
to metacity and sawfish's bugzilla (about seven months ago).

I've attached a test program, written by Gustavo Carneiro for his
metacity bug report #102209.  See also #114626, #114625.

    click:
    ** Message: leave_notify_event
    ** Message: enter_notify_event
    ** Message: button_press_event
    ** Message: -----------

    double-click, click1:
    ** Message: leave_notify_event
    ** Message: enter_notify_event
    ** Message: button_press_event
    ** Message: -----------
    double-click, click2:
    ** Message: button_press_event

    ** Message: leave_notify_event

I would very much appreciate this getting fixed in sawfish too, or a
hint how to debug this.  I've tried debugging this, but when I hit a
breakpoint at events.c:button_press (), the leave and enter events
have already been sent.

Greetings,
Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke gnu org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter