Welcome to the safety-list

Welcome to the Safety and Privacy mailing list!

Now that a good bunch of people are subscribed, I think we have a
proper introduction :)

This is the mailing list for the Safety and Privacy Team.  As is usual
with GNOME teams, this one doesn't have hard boundaries --- if you
want to participate, just do; you don't need to ask for membership or
anything.

Our wiki page is here:

https://wiki.gnome.org/SafetyTeam

We have a number of tasks.  Help is very welcome!

* HTTPS everywhere.  Elad Alfassa has been looking into GNOME
  applications which do plain HTTP requests.  One particularly
  problematic one is gnome-weather, as there is no HTTPS-ized source
  of weather information that we can use.  See the bug linked from the
  wiki for the details.

* Help out the gnome-os people with sandboxed apps.  Alex Larsson has
  been looking into creating GNOME runtimes, and into how to
  store/distribute apps:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-os-list/2014-October/msg00000.html

* As part of sandboxing, figure out how to actually keep applications
  from accessing all of the user's data.  Ubuntu Phone already does
  this, I think, so it would be good to look at its implementation.
  There is also prior art with things like LXC and Docker.

* Think of what sort of Service APIs we will need.  The "I need a
  picture from the user's photos" service, for example.

* Metadata scrubbers, so that the user can be made aware of what
  (meta)data is not obviously contained in files to be shared.  For
  example, geolocation data in photos.

* Bugs in general.  Just today, Christian Hergert tweeted that he saw
  his bank's website briefly when deactivating the screensaver - some
  GPU texture didn't get cleared.  Things like that.

Feel free to start the discussion, and welcome!

  Federico