[sabayon] Customising Pidgin

Hi,

I help to admin a small network of desktop machines running GNOME. I've recently been investigating Sabayon as a way to make the default Fedora GNOME desktop better fulfil our users' needs.

One thing which I'd like to do is have the Pidgin (formerly Gaim) instant messenger automatically configured to connect to our organisation's XMPP server for newly created users. The major issue here is the fact that Pidgin needs to have the username stored in its accounts file in order to create any kind of usable configuration.

What I'm wondering is if there's a sensible way to do this in the context of Sabayon. I don't see any obvious mechanism for substituting variables into configuration files. It seems to me that it's a reasonable thing to want to do (consider also configuring e.g. e-mail accounts).

Would it perhaps be a case of writing a module which deals with Pidgin settings specifically? Or am I trying to do something which Sabayon plain isn't-designed-for?

Any guidance much appreciated :-)

- Graham Cole, Swansea University Computer Society