Re: [sabayon] AC_CONFIG_FILES incomplete?

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 13:50 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> The macro AC_CONFIG_FILES in sabayon/configure.ac seems rather
> incomplete. Am I missing something? Shouldn't all the *.in files be
> listed? I noticed the problem when the various scripts in /bin
> and /usr/sbin were referring to things in /usr/local/share/sabayon
> instead of /usr/share/sabayon.

	No, the other ones get generated from the Makefiles.

> That problem occurred (or so I believe) because of the following
> reasons:
>
> 1) sabayon/autogen.sh does not pass the same prefix to configure as when
> the rpm is created (--prefix=/usr instead of the default /usr/local).
> Shouldn't we make autogen.sh match what the rpm is going to do? It's way
> too easy to end up with two uniquely different installation directories
> on the same system.

	I don't understand - autogen just passes its arguments straight through
to configure.

> 2) the various scripts in admin-tool with the .in extension were not
> recreated with the right prefix (after I mistakenly ran autogen without
> passing --prefix=/usr). I assume thats because AC_CONFIG_FILES is
> incomplete (e.g. is missing the scripts). How these scripts got
> generated the first time eludes me.

	Right, presumably the other generated files just need to depend on
Makefile or something in Makefile.am.

	I guess we could generate these from configure too, but its automake
that defines most of the variables we're substituting so it does make
sense to do it this way.

> Why am I doing this? Because at the moment the only practical way I know
> how to do development is to do a "make install" from my development tree
> which is how I've been encountering (discovering) these problems.

	Right.

Cheers,
Mark.