Re: [sabayon] Sabayon for RHEL 4

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:12:34AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 12:35 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been following this project with great interest.  I've also been
> > playing around with it on my Fedora Core 4 laptop - so far Sabayon is
> > living up to its billing.
> >
> > I would like to try it out on a RHEL 4 machine.  I tried building a RPM
> > from the latest FC4 Sabayon source rpm, but the build bombed out.  On
> > the other hand, Sabayon 0.18 rebuilt without any problem, except that
> > it's really old.  Oh, I also tried building both versions on a CentOS 4
> > box, and of course the results in each case were the same.
> >
> > Before I spend anymore time trying to get the latest release to build,
> > should I even bother?  Will Sabayon work with Gnome 2.8?  Any chance an
> > official Sabayon release will work on a stock RHEL 4 system, or is my
> > only option Fedora Core and future RHEL releases?
>
> I'm not sure, but I think sabayon-admin relies on various changes in
> Gnome that happened after RHEL4, but mark would know better.

  I can confirm, I had to recompile and upgrade a lot of the Gnome stack
to work on Sabayon in my RHEL4 workstation, even Glib needed to be updated
with a later release, so no this is really not possible with a pristine,
supported RHEL4. The development was really targetting Fedora Core 4, and
Mark had to fix for example Gtk python bindings to get sabayon to work.
The gamin-python package is also not available until RHEL4-U2.

> However, its probably possible to run sabayon-apply on RHEL4 machines,
> so you might be able to actually push out settings to RHEL4 machines
> even if you can't edit on them. (Dunno if this helps you though.)

  I think that is possible, but I can't remember precisely, Mark certainly
knows. Well you can try it, sabayon-apply doesn't have much dependancies.

Daniel