Problems with keeping the media collection up to date - and starting at system start

I have been using rygel to serve my media collection to my AV receiver
for a little while now, but it appears to be problematic to keep the
media collection up to date.

I am of the opinion that, for a setup like mine, media-export would be
helpful, however I cannot make any progress with getting my collection
"in sync" - there is an artist recently added to my collection that
rygel does not seem to pick up on - even in gupnp-av-cp, the artist
does not appear and the folder seems to be inaccessible (though
visible).

I suspect the problem may have some permissions aspect to it - rygel
normally runs as the user of the same name on Debian, which may have
some bearing on it.

Is there any easy way I can make rygel "forget the past", bring the
collection into sync and preferably keep it so? I am happy to run rygel
with whatever options needed to collect logs of what it is doing, if
this is helpful.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-rygel tinsleyviaduct com