RE: Rygel-0.32.1 will not stream outside the gnome evironment

I'm trying to get rygel-0.32.1 to stream on an RPi3

With raspbian? I can possibly try to check on monday, I have a Pi3 at work.

No, with tinycorelinux piCore and compiling the various components from source.

Although rygel looks to be working - I get the harvested messages, etc
- nothing is actually being streamed.

Can you share a debug log? Also, is the device not discoverable at all or is just
the final HTTP streaming not working?

Using a debug level of 5 in rygel.conf does not produce much output (see end of post),
is there a way to get more?

gupnp-av-cp on the same machine or a remote machine shows nothing.
gupnp-universal-cp shows that some data is being sent.

I also have rygel-0.32.1 on an x86_64 and get the same problem unless
I run rygel in the gnome environment.

Once I have run rygel in the gnome environment on the x86_64, I can
exit to the console, start a non-dbus window manager and rygel will
stream as expected.

That's really weird. Which distribution? Only thing I can imagine that you're missing
network-manager when e.g. being on Fedora because then Rygel will only find the "lo" device.
That shouldn't happen on Debian derivates, though.

tinycorelinux corepure64

The gnome environment uses networkmanager, but the RPi3 and corepure64 without gnome does not.

In any case, rygel finds eth0 on the RPi3 and wlan0 on corepure64 without networkmanager.

Since it's not really practical to compile the whole gnome nine yards
for the RPi3, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing to make rygel
work.

I have gst-plugins-*, gupnp-*, libgee, gssdp, shared-mime-info,
libmediaart and gsettings-desktop-schemas - is something else
required?

No, looks pretty complete.

I take it that dbus is not required to be started?

Not really. But note that album art extraction will not work due to a bug/feature
of libmediaart if there is no session DBus (767959)

Great :)

Is any particular mime or xdg configuration required that gets done
automagically by gnome and hidden somewhere in dconf/gsettings?

Maybe_ the XDG directories. But if you configure the URLs to extract directly
(without the @-placeholders) it should be fine.

It definitely works without GNOME, I have it running on a Pine64 here.

Yeah - I tried with an explicit target for the URL, but that didn't change anything.

A few versions ago, rygel worked fine for me too :P

$ rygel
Rygel-Message: rygel-acl.vala:143: No ACL fallback policy found. Using "allow"
Rygel-Message: Rygel v0.32.1 starting?
RygelCore-Message: New plugin 'Playbin' available
RygelCore-Message: New plugin 'MediaExport' available
MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/tc/Music' harvested
MediaExport-Message: rygel-media-export-harvesting-task.vala:300: Harvesting of file:///home/tc/Music done in
0.075943
MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/tc/Videos' harvested
MediaExport-Message: rygel-media-export-harvesting-task.vala:300: Harvesting of file:///home/tc/Videos done
in 0.070877
MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/tc/Pictures' harvested
MediaExport-Message: rygel-media-export-harvesting-task.vala:300: Harvesting of file:///home/tc/Pictures done
in 0.065940
MediaExport-Message: rygel-media-export-extract.vala:163: Started with descriptors 3 (in) 4 (out)