Re: External Plugin and sort sequence of tracks

I'm using the most recent release (including the fix to bug 720672) so
rygel should be passing through the sort sequence from the external
plugin unchanged.  My DBus server is passing the items through in track
sequence - and if I use the UPnPlay Android app with the "let server
decide sequence" option the tracks appear in the correct order.

My hypothesis is that there's code in the Stream 63i that checks the
upnp class of the container and sorts by name (or requests the items
sorted by name) if the container isn't
object.container.album.musicAlbum.  I've used uPnP-inspector to browse
the same album shared from rygel and minidnla; uPnP-inspector displays
the tracks in the correct order and the only meaningful difference
between the two servers is the upnp class of the container (with rygel
it's just object.container, with minidnla it's
object.container.album.musicAlbum).

Sounds like a valid hypothesis.

I've seen via http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.rygel/432
that there has been discussion about extending the MediaServer2 spec to
allow containers to be identified as albums - is anyone still looking at
this or has it been set aside for lack of time? Presumably all that
needs to be done is to retrieve the new DBus property (if it is set) and
then amend the upnp_class of the container object appropriately.

This fell of the table somehow.

2.  I can code, but I've not worked on a multi-sourcefile project like
rygel for 20+ years (the last IDE I used was Visual C++ 1.0). I know my
way around Linux but have never done serious software building on it.
And I have no experience with vala of course.  So - (a) are the build
instructions on the gnome wiki for rygel still up to date?, and (b) can
you recommend an IDE?  What development tools work best for you?

a) No, they're slightly outdated.

b) I'm currently using gvim because I couldn't find anything that has a
really nice workflow.