Re: synchronized music playback across multiple renderers

2013/1/29 Jonathon Conte <anotherjonathon gmail com>:
>> I have not seen this feature in the UPnP spec. Can you point me to that,
>> please?
>>
>> (This also means: No, we don't implement that)
>>
> "5.1. Synchronized playback
>
> It is possible to instruct one or more MediaRenderers to start playing
> back of a Content Item at a specific time. The same can be done for
> operations such as pausing and stopping. These operations are possible
> using the AVTransport::SyncPlay(), AVTransport::SyncPause() and
> AVTransport::SyncStop() actions.

I'm planning to figure out if it's at all feasible with gstreamer.
This feature needs a guarantee that seeking is synchronized to the
clock, specifically that if we issue a seek event to the point x in a
file at clock time y, then at any time y+a in the future, the playback
is exactly at x+a. Nothing I've seen in gstreamer documentation
indicates this, it might be that seeking happens ad-hoc, discarding
the timestamp of the seek event.

--
Alexander