Re: Changing container format and/or audio codec on the fly

On Sa, 2013-08-10 at 11:35 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 21:33:34 +0200
Jens Georg <mail jensge org> wrote:

On Fr, 2013-08-09 at 15:05 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:

[DLNA client only accepts mp4 format]

I used avconv to convert a .mkv to .mp4 and the player was then able to
play the video, but there was no sound, so it looks like I also need to
transcode the audio from AC3 to M4A. I think my HTPC should be able to
manage that in terms of CPU power, but is there a way to get Rygel to do
this on the fly? I tried reading man rygel.conf but couldn't find the
information I need.

Rygel does a very low-quality (15fps, 320x240) on-the-fly conversion to
H.264/AAC already.

The video stream is already H264, so it doesn't need to transcode that,
just the audio from AC3 and change the container from mkv to mp4.
Hopefully it would also accept PCM, making the conversion more
economical and less lossy.

matching stuff should be passed as-is (i.e. remuxing) unless rescaling
or other adaptations are required.

I'm afraid there's no way to do this by configuration, but you could try
to tweak this by modifying
src/media-engines/gstreamer/rygel-avc-transcoder.vala.

On Googling I found that it's quite common for DLNA clients to be picky
like this, and some other servers have "profiles" to deal with it. There
are commercial servers like plex and serviio available for Linux, which
I think have this ability, but I'd rather stick to open source. This is

Serviio is free (IIRC as in beer)

the sort of thing gstreamer should be able to do very effectively so
it's a shame for rygel to miss out.

Well. Lowest common denominator is MPEG2. All non-mobile DLNA devices
have to support that.