[bump] rygel streaming live audio: low latency?

Sorry, for bumping...

Dear rygel-list members,
I'm a phd student in Italy and I'm currently trying to stream live audio with rygel to other devices. I succeded in doing this by following a method using gstreamer input to rygel, here: http://chemicaloliver.net/linux/streaming-audio-from-ubuntu-linux-to-a-dlna-player-blu-ray-or-ps3/ However my goal is to obtain a low latency stream. So far I get 10 seconds delay from the live input (e.g. my voice speaking numbers to the microphone on the rygel machine) to the renderer machine (another linux machine with VLC). This is not related with network problems or other software layers (sending audio with other systems I get milliseconds latency). My opinion is that such a big delay is due to the connection mechanism which takes approx 10 seconds: my idea:
- the media renderer connects to rygel
- rygel starts buffering the live audio at once
- in the meanwhile all the handshaking between rygel and the renderer begins and takes some time - when everything is ready rygel starts sending the audio to the renderer, beginning from the start of the buffer, which is many seconds long now - from the media renderer you can listen to an audio signal that is several seconds old

This could be fixed if rygel starts buffering when the connection is ready. THe only latency then would be the one from the network and the one from the *short* (128 to 1024 samples) buffer.

I'm not very good in reading or writing code, and I'd like to ask you developers if this makes sense to you or this is not the cause of the delay.

Thanks & cheers

--

Leonardo Gabrielli, PhD student
A3Lab - Dept. Information Engineering

--

Dr. Leonardo Gabrielli, PhD student
A3Lab - Dept. Information Engineering
Università Politecnica delle Marche
via Brecce Bianche 31, 60131, Ancona, Italy
Skype: leonardo.gabrielli