Transcoding quality

I just got PS3 transcoding working (thanks for the help, Jens Georg!), but the quality is really low. The input file I'm trying is a 1280x720 MKV, but the transcoded result is about 320x240, if that. I don't expect full HD quality (machine running rygel is a NAS box with Athlon X2 3800+ dual core), but this is barely watchable...

Is there any setting I can change to fix this, or is it a lost cause due to lack of horsepower?