Re: Rygel's media presentation influence

On 30 September 2011 23:15, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:

>> I disabled transcoding in Rygel from the start, to be honest ;-)
>> Reason for doing so is to see what the TV is actually capable of, not
>> letting anything to be "faked" by the server.
>> I'll enable it to see how that works out for the different media types.
>> While I completely understand that the general user is better off
>> having the unsupported media converted, I'm not a big fan of it. I'd
>> rather not see something on my TV than settling for less quality.
>
>  You are assuming that converted files will have less quality. While
> theoretically you are correct, in practice thats hardly a real issue.
> Especially for mkv, you don't really have to (usually) actually
> transcode anything but rather only remux and that doesn't take away
> any quality.

When does the transcoder kick in exactly? Will it only start
transcoding when the controller determined the file to be unsupported?
Or does this also differ between the different controllers, where one
only transcodes for unsupported files and the other for all files?

>> An annoyance is the lack of being able to specify how the media,
>> listed on the TV, is sorted. This is a TV issue. It insists on sorting
>> e.g. all my video by date instead of name. It makes you wonder who
>> came up with that but still...
>> Does DLNA accommodate in a way to have any control over the order in
>> which media is listed on the device? If my TV does not provide a sort
>> customization, I was hoping DLNA might do through Rygel. If DLNA
>> allows you to do this, would it be interesting to implement this in
>> Rygel?

> If it insists sorting by date it is either instructing Rygel to do so
> (by supplying +dc:date as SortCritera) or just ignoring what Rygel
> returns and sorting client-side. The default sort for Rygel is by title
> ascending.

I'll add some additional debug messages to see what is happening exactly.

>>>  This could also be caused by some missing gstreamer elements.
>>>

>> Missing in Rygel or on my system? I should have all required, judged
>> by the dependency list on the Rygel site.
>
>  Is it possible that there is no title available in your videos? If
> you are sure the title is there, its either a bug in relevant
> gstreamer element(s) or your TV.

It should be set in the video's but I'll double check as soon as I get
home later on this weekend. I'll file a bug report at Rygel or
Gstreamer depending on the outcome.

Yours,

Age