Re: Rygel's media presentation influence

On Fr, 2011-09-30 at 21:23 +0200, Age Bosma wrote:

> Does DLNA accommodate in a way to negotiate supported file formats
> between the device and the server, allowing or limiting the server to
> only serve those files supported by the device?

a) The device might be lying.
b) Negotiating this is the task of the controller in DLNA land. As the
TV represents a DMP it is the controller and responsible for making sure
that the files match their need.

> An annoyance is the lack of being able to specify how the media,
> listed on the TV, is sorted. This is a TV issue. It insists on sorting
> e.g. all my video by date instead of name. It makes you wonder who
> came up with that but still...
> Does DLNA accommodate in a way to have any control over the order in
> which media is listed on the device? If my TV does not provide a sort
> customization, I was hoping DLNA might do through Rygel. If DLNA
> allows you to do this, would it be interesting to implement this in
> Rygel?

If it insists sorting by date it is either instructing Rygel to do so
(by supplying +dc:date as SortCritera) or just ignoring what Rygel
returns and sorting client-side. The default sort for Rygel is by title
ascending.

> My TV also lists all videos by filename instead of actual video title.
> I'm not using the tracker export (not providing sufficient control
> over what is shared). Does Rygel's MediaExport actually read the video
> titles and supply those to a device? If not, is this a Rygel or a DLNA
> shortcoming?

It tries to do that. If there is no title available, it falls back to
the filename. This might be a short-coming in the correspondent
GStreamer parser. You can check which data the plugin gets by running
gst-discoverer on the file. the title should show up in the Tags
section. If it doesn't, file a bug with GStreamer for the video format.