Re: online content through 'external' plugin

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Michael Lawrence <mflawren fhcrc org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, great work with Rygel.

  Thanks!

> I'm working on an implementation of the MediaServer2 DBus spec to provide
> access to large online archives.

  Cool! Have you looked at grilo and rygel-grilo btw? You might have
some duplication with their stuff.

> The difficulty is that that the "external"
> plugin wants to recurse through all the directories, which is infeasible
> given the sprawling nature of online resources.

   First of all, If you could modify the external plugin to not
require that, I'll gladly welcome your patches. Secondly, Could you
give an example of some online source which actually provide something
that maps directly to our container concept and it provides many of
those? Don't take it as an objection please, I'm just curious. :)

> Also, the max_count seems to
> always be 0,
> which does not limit the number of results.

  When browsing the containers, yes it is. That could be easily fixed.

> Could some sort of lazy model be
> adopted here, so that the entire tree does not need to be traversed
> up-front?

   Yeah sure! A quick solution would be to browse incrementally using
the 'max_count'.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)