Re: Performence issue on transcoding.

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Guyøme <guyomel gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run Rygel on atom-based NAS (with all gstreamer plugins installed) and
> when rygel transcodes a video (usual divx) to watch it on my n900, it starts
> to load the movie, then the connection aborded.

   Since it works on your desktop, it's most probably an n900 issue.

> I did the same on my desktop
> computer (AMD dual-core), I can see the movie, but it lags a lot. And I
> didn't get any trouble to listen flac or ogg track on the n900. Then it
> seems there is performences issues on transcoding. Is there any way to
> improve that ?

   We make use of GStreamer for transcoding so if you want to help in
improving the performance here, I suggest you find out which gstreamer
elements are used by Rygel in this case (using the appropriate
gstreamer debug level), find out which of them is responsible for the
jitters and optimize them.

> Another question about transcoding, my OPPO player (yes, those with the
> scrappy xml parser) shows only videos who are nativelly supported, ie mkv or
> vob, but none of others container format even if transcoding is enable. So,
> what "transcoding" means ? Does Rygel trancode also containers ?

  Yes, it does. In case of media that is already in encoded in desired
format, it is only put in the right container (i-e remuxing rather
than actual transcoding).

>  Or, the
> dnla client of my player is more buggy that I thougth.

  Very much possible, it could be only looking at the first available
URI only and giving up if its not in one of the supported formats.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124