Re: DBusService and handling Disconnected signal

Thanks Zeeshan.

I'll share the solution I will find.

Regards,
Cem Eliguzel

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:16:05 +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix gmail com> wrote:

Hi Cem,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Cem Eliguzel <celiguzel ubicom com> wrote:
Hi Zeeshan,

In our stress tests, we see that rygel quits suddenly after a few hours.
When I investigated the problem I saw that this happens just after dbus
connection is broken. Later, I discovered that the default action in dbus library on disconnect is to call _exit system call, which forces rygel to
quit.

  Thanks for the explanation.

BTW, the default action is set to "exit" when the connection is created via
dbus_bus_get method, which is the case in dbus-glib and thus in rygel.

There is that dbus_connection_set_exit_on_disconnect function in dbus
library to disable the default "exit" action. On the other hand, there is no
corresponding dbus-glib function that we can call from Rygel/vala codes.

When I asked a similar question to the dbus mail list in order to understand
why dbus's default action is to exit on disconnect, it was said that
applications using dbus usually depended on dbus session and if session
somehow ended, application must exit.

What I would like to do is
       1. to handle disconnection event and reestablish the connection
without forcing rygel to exit.
       2. to understand why dbus connection gets broken

  Unless you have a use-case for rygel surviving dbus connection reset
(although i doubt so) I suggest you focus on 2. above. Sorry I
couldn't be helpful since I have never seen this happening.